Last Modified: May 1, 2022
Metaccountant Inc. d/b/a Marketbase ("Marketbase" or " We") respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit or use the marketplace (the "Marketplace") on GeekMarket (the "Website") and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information. The Marketplace is provided and hosted by Marketbase on behalf of BoardGameGeek (the " Company"). As described herein, Marketbase may share information collected in compliance with this policy with the Company.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On the Marketplace.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and the Marketplace.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website or marketplace operated by Marketbase or any third party; or
- Any third party (including the Company), including through any application or content that may link to or be accessible from or on the Marketplace or the Website.
Children Under the Age of 16
The Marketplace is not intended for children under 16 years of age. No one under age 16 may provide any information to or on the Marketplace, unless using an account owned by a parent or legal guardian with their permission and under their direct supervision. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If you are under 16, do not register for an account on the Marketplace or use or provide any information on the Marketplace. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 16 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 16, please contact us at email@example.com.
California residents under 16 years of age may have additional rights regarding the collection and sale of their personal information. Please see Your California Privacy Rights for more information.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of the Marketplace, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number and any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline ("personal information");
- That is about you but individually does not identify you; and/or
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access the Marketplace, purchase history and usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
- From third parties, for example, the Company and our business partners.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through the Marketplace may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on the Marketplace. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use the Marketplace or Website, posting listings and other material, and carrying out transactions. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with the Marketplace or request help using the Marketplace.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Details of transactions you carry out through the Marketplace and of the fulfillment of your orders.
- Your search queries on the Marketplace.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, "posted") on public areas of the Marketplace, or transmitted to other users of the Marketplace or third parties (collectively, "User Contributions"). Your User Contributions are posted on the Marketplace and transmitted to others at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of other users of the Marketplace with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with the Marketplace, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to the Marketplace, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Marketplace.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information we collect automatically does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve the Marketplace and deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize the Marketplace according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to the Marketplace.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Web Beacons. Pages of the Marketplace may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages and for other related statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain content and verifying system and server integrity).
We do not collect personal information automatically, but we may tie information collected automatically to personal information about you that we collect from other sources or you provide to us.
Third-Party Use of Tracking Technologies
We do not control these third parties' tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about the Company's use of tracking technologies or any advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present the Marketplace and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your account.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to the Marketplace or any services we offer or provide though it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on the Marketplace.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about users of the Marketplace, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To the Company.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Marketbase's assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Marketbase about the Marketplace's users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- To enforce or apply our TERMS OF SERVICE and other agreements, including for billing and collection purposes.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Marketbase, the Company, users of the Marketplace or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You can review and change your personal information by logging into the Marketplace and visiting your account profile page.
You may also send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We may not be able to fulfill a deletion request if such request requires deletion of your Website user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
If you delete your User Contributions from the Marketplace, copies of your User Contributions may remain viewable in cached and archived pages, or might have been copied or stored by other users of the Marketplace or Website. Proper access and use of information provided on the Marketplace, including User Contributions, is governed by our TERMS OF SERVICE.
California residents may have additional personal information rights and choices. Please see Your California Privacy Rights for more information.
General Data Protection Regulation
If you are a resident of the European Union ("EU"), we will process your personal information in compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR"). For information submitted through the Marketplace, Marketbase acts as "Processor" and the Company acts as "Controller," each as defined under GDPR. In accordance with GDPR, you, as a data subject, will be accorded with any applicable rights, which may include the following:
- right of confirmation;
- right of access;
- right to recertification;
- right to erasure;
- right of restriction of processing;
- right to data portability;
- right to object;
- right to withdraw data protection consent; and
- right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please send a written request to Marketplace at email@example.com. We may need to request specific information from you to confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal information (or to exercise any other right listed above). This is a security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
Your California Privacy Rights
Marketbase has adopted the policy below to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 ("CCPA"). Any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this section.
THE INFORMATION IN THIS SECTION SUPPLEMENTS INFORMATION FOUND ELSEWHERE IN THIS POLICY AND APPLIES SOLELY TO MARKETPLACE VISITORS AND USERS WHO RESIDE IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. THE RIGHTS PROVIDED IN THIS SECTION ARE LIMITED TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS.
Information We Collect
In addition to the information described above under Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It, the CCPA requires disclosure of the categories of personal information collected over the past 12 months. Please note that personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- Deidentified or aggregated consumer information.
We have collected the following categories of personal information from consumers within the last twelve (12) months:
A real name, alias, postal address, email address, account name or other similar identifiers.
B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).
A name, signature, address, telephone number, driver's license or state identification card number.
Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).
D. Commercial information.
Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
E. Biometric information.
Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.
F. Internet or other similar network activity.
Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.
G. Geolocation data.
Physical location or movements.
H. Sensory data.
Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.
I. Professional or employment-related information.
Current or past job history or performance evaluations.
J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)).
Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.
K. Inferences drawn from other personal information.
Profile reflecting a person's preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
We obtain the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you.
- Indirectly from you. For example, from observing your actions on the Marketplace.
- From third parties, for example, the Company and our business partners.
Use of Personal Information
We collect and use these categories of personal information for our business and commercial purposes described in How We Use Your Information above.
We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Marketplace does not sell personal information.
Sharing Personal Information
We may share your personal information as described under Disclosure of Your Information above.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, Marketbase has disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
- California Customer Records personal information categories.
- Commercial information.
- Geolocation data.
We disclose your personal information for a business purpose to the following:
- The Company.
- Service providers.
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides California residents with specific rights regarding their personal information, which include the following:
Right to Know and Data Portability
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months (the "right to know"). Once we receive your request and confirm your identity (see Exercising Your Rights to Know or Delete ), we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- If we disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, a list of all disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each recipient obtained.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
Right to Delete
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions (the "right to delete"). Once we receive your request and confirm your identity (see Exercising Your Rights to Know or Delete), we will review your request to see if an exception allowing us to retain the information applies. We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall conducted in accordance with federal law, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
We will delete or deidentify personal information not subject to one of these exceptions from our records and will direct our service providers to take similar action.
Exercising Your Rights to Know or Delete
To exercise your rights to know or delete described above, please submit a request by:
- Emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a request to know or delete related to your personal information.
You may also make a request to know or delete on behalf of your child by emailing us at the email address provided above.
You may only submit a request to know twice within a 12-month period. Your request to know or delete must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you.
You do not need to create an account with us to submit a request to know or delete.
We will only use personal information provided in the request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make it.
Response Timing and Format
We will confirm receipt of your request within ten (10) business days. If you do not receive confirmation within the 10-day timeframe, please contact us at email@example.com.
We endeavor to substantively respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to another 45 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
We will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding our receipt of your request. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Personal Information Sales Opt-Out and Opt-In Rights
We do not currently sell consumer information, nor do we plan to sell consumer information in the future.
Nonetheless, you have the right to direct us to not sell your personal information at any time (the "right to opt-out"). Consumers who opt-in to personal information sales may opt-out of future sales at any time.
To exercise the right to opt-out, you (or your authorized representative) may submit a request to us by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Other California Privacy Rights
California's "Shine the Light" law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of the Marketplace that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of the Marketplace, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Marketplace like in comments or reviews. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Marketplace.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to or stored on the Marketplace. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Marketplace.
If you need to access this policy in an alternative format due to having a disability, please contact us using either of the methods provided above.